There are two types of oils that can be beneficial for your hair. These two types of oils are essential oils and carrier oils. Essential oils are fragrant oils that are actually the concentrated essence of the plant. Essential oils are light and do not feel like an oil, but they also evaporate quickly. Essential oils are usually added to a carrier oil to be applied to the hair. Carrier oils are oily in texture and can be oil from a seed, fruit, vegetable or nut. Different oils present different opportunities for the hair to be nourished with the unique nutrients present in each.
Choose the highest grade essential oil available. Try to purchase complete oils or genuine Grade A oils for the most natural oil with the least amount of chemicals and additives. Lavender, chamomile, and rose oil are all essential oils used in hair treatments. Some other essential oils for the hair include:
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is beneficial for the hair because it can treat the symptoms of a dry scalp as well as problematic oily hair. The oil has been used to treat dandruff, and has a unique astringent smell that is suitable for male or female use.
- Sandalwood Oil – Sandalwood has many properties that make it good for the hair and scalp. The oil is an astringent, an anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic. Use sandalwood oil to soothe a dry and irritated scalp.
- Orange Oil – This invigorating and vibrant smelling essential oil aids the hair by regulated the production of sebum, the hair’s natural oil.
- Carrier Oils – Choose high grade carrier oils with essential oils for conditioner combinations that will help moisturize dry hair. Carrier oils can be used in conjunction with essential oils or on their own to treat the hair. Olive oil, almond oil, and castor oil are all carrier oils suitable for hair care. Other carrier oils for the hair include: Jojoba Oil Jojoba oil is useful for the hair because it closely resembles the hair’s natural oil called sebum. This oil can be used by itself as a hot oil treatment, or mixed with a different carrier oil for a specialized conditioning treatment.
- Avocado Oil – Avocado oil is full of vitamins your hair needs like vitamins A, E, D and potassium. Avocado oil is not heavy even though that avocado has the heaviest amount of protein in any fruit.
- Grapeseed Oil – Grapeseed oil is popular because it is odorless and full of minerals and vitamins that help strengthen your hair. It is an odorless oil, and can help add shine and moisture to your hair. Grapeseed oil is known for having a high content of linoleic acid, an important fatty acid that supports cell health.
How to Use Natural Oils to Treat Your Hair
You can purchase your own essential and carrier oils and mix oil recipes for yourself that will combine your hair health needs with your personal fragrance preferences. When making your own oil conditioning treatment use 4 tablespoons of carrier oil per drop of essential oil for a strongly aromatic blend when mixing your own oil conditioner recipe.
To make a hot oil treatment, mix your oils and place them in a plastic container or bag. Place in hot tap water for one minute. After normal shampooing, coat your hair with the oil and let it set for 5 – 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water, then cool water. Repeat to treat severely damaged hair.